THE Government has revoked all documents pertaining to the export of maize grain in order to ensure that the country remains food secure between now and the next harvest season. Agriculture permanent secretary, Julius Shawa said that there would be no exports of maize until the ministry had been satisfied that the country was food secure between now and the next harvest season. Mr Shawa said that the 2016 marketing season was in full gear and other various players were actively involved in the purchase and storage of maize as well as other crops. He has since urged all players involved in the maize trade namely, the private sector, millers and the Food Reserve Agency (FRA) were focused on meeting the domestic demand for maize and mealie meal. “There will be no exports of maize until the country is food secure between now and the next season. All documents pertaining to the export of maize grain (export permits, schedules and phytosanitary certificates) that were issued previously are null and void,” he said. Mr Shawa has since urged all concerned parties to heed Government’s mitigating measures to the latter but explained that this did not apply to the humanitarian assistance under the World Food Programme (WFP). He said that law enforcement agencies were on high alert and on hand to make sure that the illegal export of maize and maize products was stopped. On Friday, Copperbelt Minister Bowman Lusambo toured the Kasumbalesa border and bemoaned the rampant smuggling of mealie meal into the neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). Mr Lusambo observed that the extent of mealie meal smuggling through the border would create an artificial shortage of the staple food.