By Nation Reporter
MORE than 400 workers at Scaw Limited in Kitwe yesterday staged a sit-in protest after learning that management has awarded them a K100.00 salary increment across the board.
But, Mineworkers Union of Zambia (MUZ) Deputy General Secretary George Mumba advised the workers to resume work because the union was still negotiating with the management and that they would be briefed of the outcome later.
Mr Mumba said the workers had decided to down tools after somebody informed them that management and the union had concluded the negotiations for improved conditions of service and have been awarded a K100.00 across the board.
He said the truth of the matter was that the management and the union were still in negotiations for improved conditions of service, hence information that the workers had been awarded a K100.00 across the board was not true.
“Yes, I can confirm that there was a sit-in protest by workers at Scaw Limited over salary increment and other conditions of services. We had a meeting last Friday and the workers will be briefed today.
“But unfortunately before we could brief them, they got information from somewhere that they have been awarded K100.00 salary increment across the board and they downed tools. The truth of the matter is that we have not concluded the negotiations. We are still talking,” Mr Mumba said.
Mr Mumba said negotiations would continue and so workers should also resume work to pave way for smooth negotiations between management and the union.
“We are still negotiating with Scaw Limited management and once we conclude the negotiations with the management at the company, we will be able to brief them. They should just resume work,” He said.