ZESCO suffer Setback…



as CAF suspends Were, Banh for accumulating two yellow cards


ZESCO United striker Jesse Were and defender Ben Banh will miss this Saturday’s 2016 CAF Champions League first leg tie against Egyptian giants Al Ahly due to suspensions.

In a communiqué to ZESCO Football Club by CAF yesterday, Banh and Were will miss the Group A opener at Levy Mwanawasa Stadium in Ndola after each accumulated two yellow cards.

“We wish to inform you that the following players are suspended. You are kindly requested to take the necessary measures in this regard,” CAF said. The suspension will see ZESCO miss the services of Were who had so far shown good form and registered two goals in the continental race.

Meanwhile, former international player and FAZ vice-president Emmanuel Munaile said ZESCO had the pedigree to win Saturday’s game and all the players needed was a positive character.

Munaile said in an interview that it was a fact that Al Ahly were a better side on paper having won the title eight times, but Zesco had a formidable team that could collect the three points.

“I believe our team ZESCO can score victory this Saturday. The team has lately shown good football and the desire to reach far in the race. They should just implore a positive character to bring the Arabs down,” he said.

He said football has evolved and therefore the history of Arab teams being better than Zambia could be rewritten.

He said the boys needed adequate mental preparation to handle an experienced side like Al Ahly.

“ZESCO have to utilise the home advantage and score many goals. We can’t bank on away games, what’s important is to win at home and accumulate more points,” he said.

Al Ahly is expected to arrive in Ndola today ahead of the Saturday’s encounter.

Categorized | Sport

Comments are closed.

Our Sponsor

Jevic Japanese Auto Inspections

Social Widgets powered by AB-WebLog.com.