LAWYERS representing suspended Director of Public Prosecution Mutembo Nchito on Wednesday withdrew their services at the Annel Silungwe tribunal forcing their client to ask for an adjournment.

Mr Nchito’s  withdrew their representation and walked out of the Tribunal sitting to probe the suspended DPP’s alleged abuse of authority.

The suspended DPP was left alone after his brother Nchima, who is the  principal of the law firm withdrew his services and ordered the rest of the lawyers on his bench to leave with him.

“It seems they (the Nchitos) are just frustrated that all their efforts to halt the proceedings are not going as they planned; the Judicial Review at the High Court and the petition at the Constitution court.

“The Tribunal is going on uninterrupted and this seems to be so frustrating, it seems that’s why they walked out,” the source said.

They explained that State Counsel Nchima seemed to be reacting to frustrations over their application for Judicial Review at the High Court and the Constitution Court Petition which have not yielded their expected responses.

The source said they seemed to have been expectant of the judicial review which they thought would be dealt with expeditiously to halt the proceedings at the tribunal.

The Mutembo Nchito Tribunal began sitting on Tuesday after a six months delay that was ended by a Supreme Court ruling that gave a go ahead to the investigative body to carry out its mandate on its terms of reference as prescribed.

Last year, Mr Nchito successfully halted the commencement of the Tribunal when he applied to the Supreme Court to annul the probing of his alleged misconduct and abuse of authority of office during his discharge of duties as DPP.

But a Supreme Court bench threw out the application and allowed the Tribunal to go ahead and discharge its mandate until it comes up with the recommendations as directed in its terms of reference.

Categorized | Court News

Comments are closed.

Our Sponsor

Jevic Japanese Auto Inspections

Social Widgets powered by