Nkwazi aim for the stars

 

Zambia Police-sponsored outfit Nkwazi have set an ambitious continental target for the 2016 Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) Super League season.

The Elijah Chikwanda-tutored side was promoted to the Super League last season after spending a season in the lower division.

“Our target this season is to finish among the top two and represent the country in CAF competitions,” Chikwanda said.

Nkwazi have never won the league title but struggled hard to finish in the top 10 bracket on the league table and were runners-up in the prestigious Barclays Cup after losing 2-0 to eventual winners Green Buffaloes.

“This season we have set our eyes higher. We have to reach the continental level. What is important is a good start and we need to win games in the first half of the season.

“I have a formidable team and only need to stay focused and work harder,” he said.

Chikwanda is in his second season in charge of Nkwazi following his appointment last February just before the start of the 2015 league campaign.

Nkwazi are looking promising especially in defence with the return of outstanding defender Derrick Mwansa after two seasons on loan at Copperbelt giants Nkana and Power Dynamos in the 2014 and 2015 season respectively.

Ex-Zambia defender Hichani Himoonde has also joined them as a free agent following his recent release by South African Premier Soccer League side Mamelodi Sundowns.

Nkwazi will however have to work extra hard to stand up to the mighty of defending champions Zesco United, runners-up Zanaco and Power Dynamos who have also vowed to up their game this season.

Zesco are representing the country in the CAF Champions League and at the weekend put up a splendid performance to beat their South Sudan opponents 2-0 in the first match of the preliminary round.

Zanaco are on bye in the CAF Confederation Cup and will join the race in the first round next month.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Jassy, four others deny assault charges

MOTOR rally champion Jassy Singh and four others yesterday appeared in the Lusaka Magistrates Court and denied charges of assaulting immigration and police officers who were on duty.

Singh, 32, the 2013 motor sports rally champion, Joshi Kishor, Naidoo Logendra, Kumaren Naidu and Ramakrishna Naidu all denied the charge when they appeared before Magistrate Austen Mweene.

In denying the charge, they told Magistrate Mweene that they understood the charge which was leveled against them but denied ever beating and assaulting the two officers.

They said the allegations leveled against them were just meant to damage and discredit their reputations as responsible members of society.

Singh, Kishor ,Logendra, Naidu and Ramakrishna are facing one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm by resisting and obstructing officers who were on duty in Lusaka’s Emmasdale residential area.

It is alleged that on October 27 last year, the five resisted, obstructed and assaulted an immigration and a police officer on duty by physically manhandling them and making it impossible for them to conduct their work in Lusaka.

They are expected to open their defence on February 23.

Singh was 20 years old when he bagged the African Rally Championship title -12th for Zambia – breaking the record by becoming the youngest champion in the history of the ARC.

Jassy follows in the footsteps of his father, Muna, who won the ARC twice and his uncle, Satwant, who holds a record eight titles as African champion. The only Zambian champion outside the Singh family is Muhammed Essa, the 2012 champion.

 

Categorized | Sport

Comments are closed.

Our Sponsor

Jevic Japanese Auto Inspections

Social Widgets powered by AB-WebLog.com.