The power in the Word which is responsible for creation of the heaven and the earth, what is seen and what is not seen, in first recognized in the Holy Bible, in Genesis 1:1-3.
The answer as to who was the power in the Word is in John 1:1. It is written “In the beginning the Word already existed the Word was with God and the Word was God.” The Bible continues to say that it was through him, God made all things, not one thing in all creation was made without him. “In John 1:14, the Bible says that: The Word became a human being and full of grace and truth, lived among us.” We saw his glory, the glory which he received as the Father’s only Son.”
This is the same man John the Baptist spoke about and said “This is the one I was talking about when I said “He comes after me, but He is greater than I am, because he existed before I was born.” The power in the Word therefore is Jesus Christ, the Son of God, our messiah and savior, called Emmanuel.
In John 14:6, the Bible records what Jesus said about himself. And he said: “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me” It is therefore right to conclude that the power in the Word, that causes healing, the lame to walk, cast out demons and restoring of life comes from Jesus Christ. It is important to read what is written in Colossians 2:9, which says: For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body.” Jesus Christ is God Himself. This is the mystery of God’s existence and His Son Jesus Christ.
In John 6:35, the Bible says; Jesus said “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again”. Life belongs to Jesus Christ. For him therefore, giving back life to the dead is very possible. It is not wrong to mention God in our prayers, because both God the Father and the Son are actually one. This is explained in 1st John5: 6-7, the Father, the Word and Holy Spirit are one. In the book of Genesis 1:26, the Bible says” Let us make human beings” Here God uses the plural to confirm the Trinity Concept. It is also right to say that the power in the Word to do miracles and wonders comes from God, since we know that the concept of the Trinity is correct.
Jesus Christ prayed to His Father during the time Lazarus was to be brought back to life because he wanted his Father to be glorified by those present. John 11:42 Jesus who was God as he called himself “I am” John 8:58, this to be compared to Exodus 3:14, the Lord God Almighty who appeared to Moses also called Himself “Iam who Iam”.
The power to do miracles and wonders is a Spiritual blessing which comes from God. Prophets of the Old Testament and the Apostles of the New Testament had this tremendous Spiritual blessings. It was a spiritual gift which they utilized to the maximum to the glory of God. A spiritual gift given to people who love people.
In certain instances, these Spiritual blessings were used to shame prophets of doom, like those of Baal, who lost a contest on Mount Carmel when challenged by prophet of God Elijah 1st Kings 18:18-40.
Different spiritual blessings are upon various men and women of God as may be decided by the distributor of such spiritual blessings, King David and his son King Solomon had different spiritual blessings, King David was a very brave warrior, but his son King Solomon was endowed with the spirit of wisdom, which also Joseph received. Acts 7:10.
Stephen in Acts 7:6 was martyred because of telling the truth on matters pertaining to the Kingdom of God. He continued to preach even though he realized that his audience was very agitated by what he was saying to them. Even when death was smelling at his face, Stephen, continued to preach. When he was stoned, before he died Stephen said “Lord don’t charge them with this sin”. That is another kind of spiritual gift. It is doing great things out of the ordinary. The normal reaction could have been running at two hundred meter race speed, upon realizing the unruly crowd had resolved to stone him alive. Truth really hurts.
In John 3:27, John the Baptist said the following in receiving good gifts from heaven. “No one can receive anything, God gives it from heaven” it is therefore only God who is responsible for apportioning various spiritual gifts to individuals, as the Word of God never fails. Luke 1: 37.
To be a prophet was an appointment from God Himself. It was and still remains a great privilege to serve God Almighty in that manner. Power to perform miracles and wonders came about as an added grace from our Lord Father God Almighty upon the chosen God’s own people, who became prophets, apostles and just leaders of the church whose head is our Lord Jesus Christ.
Prophets and apostles, had and have to be of a unique character in matters of the kingdom of God. The following characteristics must be identified:
• They have had to seek the Kingdom of God first. Prophets and Apostles of the Old and New Testaments had to seek the Kingdom of God and the rest had to follow (Luke 12:31). Seeking the Kingdom of God above all else means making Jesus the Lord and King of your life. He must control every area of one’s life, work, play, plans, and relationships. To be able to wait upon the Lord, when in need, and not to be in haste when wanting to achieve. The Lord God must control all what we do. It is in scripture where we learn how the prophets and the apostles allowed the Lord God Almighty to control their lives, and in turn God provided them according to their needs at each particular time.
• They loved God Almighty – Deut 6:4 They obeyed His commands. To believe that God is one. The only one to be worshipped and praised in every manner. The only one to be served and source of salvation by his grace only. The only one we should prefer to trust as our Lord God Almighty. To preach, teach and evangelize about the King of Kings, the Most High, God Almighty.
• They lived a holy life: All prophets and apostles who had the spiritual blessing of performing miracles and wonders, lived a holy life, as demanded by one and only God Almighty, Jehovah Jireh. Lev. 11:45. The Bible says “You must be holy for I am holy”, says the Lord God Almighty.
• They were of great courage and endurance Acts 5: 35-40: Reading through the scripture, we learn that almost all prophets and apostles were of great courage. They endured a lot of problems and dangers during their course of work. They were not easily threatened by situations around, no matter how dangerous the situation might have presented itself. For them, the greater the difficult the greater the glory to their Lord Father God Almighty. They had a spirit of contentment. Psalm 37:7.
• They loved a prayerful life: They prayed without ceasing. 1st Thess. 5: 17. It is by prayer that we get strengthened in our faith in the Lord. They realized that their ability to perform miracles and wonders came from God, they therefore prayed all the time as thanksgiving to their only God Almighty Jehovah Shammar and give Him the honour.
• They lived a humble life, and they humbled themselves before the Lord God Almighty. 1st Corinthians 1:5. Those who serve God should not be filled with pride. All supernatural performances are supposed to be done to the glory of God, so that people may believe in whom there is power in the Word. Amen.