LUSAKA’S Chrismar Hotel has been sued for selling food containing filth and unfit for human consumption after the Lusaka City Council discovered the kitchen was allegedly being operated in unsanitary conditions.
LCC public relations manager Habeenzu Mulunda said following a case of suspected food poisoning involving 31 people at the resort, the local authority undertook a health check that allegedly confirmed unsanitary conditions in the manner the food was prepared.
Mr Mulunda said some health inspectors from the Council discovered that the hotel was operating under unsanitary conditions contrary to the provisions of the Food and Drugs Act Cap 303 of the Laws of Zambia.
“On 10th November, 2015, LCC received cases of suspected food poisoning at Chrismar Hotel and about 31 people who were reported to have been affected were screened and treated at State House Health Centre.
“An inspection of the hotel was undertaken by health inspectors from the Lusaka City Council on the same day, and the hotel was found to be operating under unsanitary conditions,” he said.
Mr Mulunda explained in a statement issued to the Daily Nation that the council was compelled to take legal action against the hotel management because they abrogated the law in the manner they prepared food for sale to unsuspecting members of the public.
He explained that the council’s quick response revealed that the kitchen conditions were unacceptable in the hospitality industry, which endangered the health and lives of many innocent people.
“In this regard, the Lusaka City Council has instituted legal action against Chrismar Hotel, and the case is expected to come up in the Lusaka Magistrates Court at the Civic Centre on 14th January, 2016, on the following charges;
i. Preparing food under insanitary conditions contrary to section 7 of the Food and Drugs Act Cap 303 of the Laws of Zambia.
ii. Selling food consisting filthy and unfit for human consumption contrary to section 3 of the Food and Drugs Act Cap 303 of the Laws of Zambia.
Mr Mulunda has since warned those operating in the food industry to ensure that food preparation should be done in hygienic surroundings in conformity with the law. He said failure to comply with the provisions of the Food and Drugs Act was a crime and would result in legal action on anyone found wanting in an effort to protect the members of the public.
And the Lusaka Magistrates Court sitting at the Lusaka Civic Centre on Thursday 10th December, 2015, fined Lusaka resident Bridget Munyumbwe (45) K474,000 for failing to subscribe to the LCC solid waste management system. Ms Munyumbwe, a resident of Kabwata Estates was found guilty of failing to comply with the law against illegal dumping of waste and was convicted to a fine or in default seven (7) days simple imprisonment by the court.