THE 72 families at ANC flats in Lusaka’s Villa Elizabeth area have vowed to spend nights outside, seeking justice to prevail after they were evicted from the premises.
The tenants were evicted on Tuesday night and left homeless following a directive from the police for the 72 families to leave the premises at midnight.
The residents have now engaged lawyers to take legal action.
The residents accused the police of having victimized them, saying a number of goods had been stolen because the eviction was done during load shedding.
They told the Daily Nation that they lost property worth thousands of kwacha as both the police and unknown people took advantage of the dark to rob them.
“We have lost a lot of things here and some of our goods were destroyed by the police who came with force as they were armed and in riot gear,” said one resident.
The residents further claimed that more than 200 police officers were deployed to evict them, adding that some were beaten during the process.
During the fracas the residents refused to vacate the place and spent the night outside, saying they were waiting for relevant authorities to address them.
“We will not leave this place because we have nowhere to go, and the only option which we have is to go and camp at Women for Change premises because this is totally inhuman.”
The residents accused the police officers of having stolen and eaten their stored food in their houses, adding that the torture they faced at the hands of the police should not be tolerated.
There has been misunderstanding on who owns the flats, and it was alleged that Women for Change was reported to have won the case in the Supreme Court, but the tenants claimed that the premises belonged to Star Furniture and not the ruling ANC of South Africa.
But Lusaka province permanent secretary Sturdy Mwale told the Daily Nation in a telephone interview that he was aware of the development but that he could not comment as he was waiting for the police to give him a full report.