EFFORTS by Government to raise US$25,000 monthly salary from the corporate world for the new soccer expatriate coach have run into hitches, says Sports Minister Vincent Mwale.
Mwale said it has been difficult to get companies to commit themselves for this year as their financial years normally start in January.
“I have engaged all mining companies and corporate entities, but it’s very difficult to get any commitments between now and December. We cannot force them especially that the financial year usually starts in January.
“We are just coming in the middle of the year to ask for a colossal amount of US$25,000 which is too much. That is a lot of money. I received a response from KCM last week and they are not able to assist due to certain reasons,” he said.
He said the target was to engage the coach before the Gabon 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on September 6 and he was hoping for a positive response by the end of this week.
“I am doing everything possible to ensure that the coach is engaged before the Kenya qualifier. I will be able to give a concrete answer after the end of this week, “he said.
Mwale however revealed that two companies had committed to put in US$6,000 (K47, 000) in January and was hopeful that other entities would come on board.
He said FAZ wanted to give the coach a contract of two years for him to qualify the team to the 2018 Russia World Cup.
“Next year looks bright; we have two companies that have confirmed to commit US$6,000 in January. We cannot go back to the Treasury for assistance because they just paid K3.2 million to former coach Dario Bonetti,” he said.
The Chipolopolo Boys are scheduled to play their second AFCON qualifier against Kenya in Nairobi on September 6.