THE Football Association of Zambia will do everything possible to keep the Under-17 soccer team that was booted out of the ongoing 2015 Africa Cup of Nations youth championship in Niger, FAZ president Kalusha Bwalya has assured the nation.
Bwalya said he was confident that a good foundation had been laid for the boys and their future.
“We shall endeavour to keep this team; the boys will go home with the necessary experience, needed at this level,” he said.
Bwalya said the association shall use the same foundation in 2017 when Zambia hosts the CAF Africa Youth Championship Under-20.
Meanwhile, the team is expected to arrive home today from Niamey, Niger
FAZ communications manager Nkweto Tembwe told Daily Nation Sports in a statement that the team landed in Ethiopia yesterday where they will spend a night before proceeding to Zambia.
The team bowed out of the 2015 Africa Under-17 championships on Saturday after losing their must-win match against Nigeria 3-1.
Having recorded two losses and only one win against Niger, Chipolopolo saw their dream of getting to the semi-finals go up into thin air. The Chris Kaunda side was hoping to get to the finals of the tournament which are also the qualifying series for the FIFA World Cup youth tournament in Chile.
Zambia was making her maiden appearance at the championships.