MINISTER of Sports Vincent Mwale says he will this week call for a meeting with the Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) to resolve the matter surrounding former Chipolopolo coach Dario Bonetti’s unpaid dues.
Mwale said his ministry will also use the same meeting to resolve coach Honor Janza’s contract with FAZ.
“We shall have a meeting next week with the Football Association of Zambia. We want to resolve once and for all the issue which the association has with Dario Bonetti and Honour Janza,” he said.
Speaking in an interview with the Daily Nation Sports, the newly appointed minister said he had taken note of stories which had been reported in the press about Bonetti and Janza.
“I am aware that FIFA has been issuing statements threatening FAZ to pay Bonetti failure to which the association may face sanctions,” he said.
Mwale said he had also been closely following comments on Janza’s contract from stakeholders. “If Bonetti’s issue is left unattended, FIFA’s sanctions on FAZ for failing to pay him might be very harsh. This is why we want the matter be resolved once and for all next week,” he said.
Last year, FIFA had given FAZ up to January 20, 2015 to pay Bonetti US$382,000 compensation for breach of contract.
Bonetti confirmed from Italy that the world soccer governing body had ruled on the appeal by FAZ against the verdict handed down in April 2013.
The Italian said the FAZ had been ordered to hand over a copy of the payment to FIFA.
“If it does not respect the above mentioned time, FIFA will proceed to forward the entire file to the Disciplinary Committee for consideration and a formal decision.”
“As you can read from the annex (document) FIFA (has) ordered FAZ to pay immediately the relevant amount and to provide by 20th January a copy of payment.” He said.
Bonetti was fired in 2011 despite qualifying Zambia to the 2012 Africa Cup.
He had an active contract with the association which was supposed to end the following year.