WBC not decided on Catherine fight

ORIENTAL Quarries Boxing Promotion (OQBP) manager Christopher Malunga says negotiations for Catherine Phiri’s fight against interim world champion Jessica Gonzalez of Mexico are still being handled by the World Boxing Council.

And Malunga said his stable will not panic but wait for WBC’s ruling after declaring a dispute on fight conditions for Catherine and Gonzalez.

Catherine is scheduled to fight the Mexican in March for an interim WBC world title but a few weeks after WBC congress which was held in Las Vegas, US, the two camps failed to agree on the purse money and fight venue.

Malunga, who has expressed confidence that the WBC would come up with a ruling within the remaining 24 hours, said OQBP was not in a panicking mode and would wait patiently for the council to decide.

Malunga said the matter was still before the WBC as opposed to media reports which suggested that the council had thrown back the matter to Malunga and the Mexican promoter.

“The matter is still before the WBC and they will be getting back to us within the remaining 48 hours,”

“If you remember very well WBC wrote to us that we should freely negotiate and if we fail we should refer the matter back to WBC.

‘‘That is what we did, we referred back the matter to WBC and we are still waiting for their ruling,” he said.

Malunga said the remaining 48 hours was a lot of time and assured Phiri’s fans that a ruling would definitely be made before the due date.

Last month, the WBC approved the Catherine and Gonzalez fight for the interim world title and their promoters to reach an agreement before January 31 this month.

Categorized | Sport

Comments are closed.

Our Sponsor

Jevic Japanese Auto Inspections

Social Widgets powered by AB-WebLog.com.