THE National Sports Council of Zambia (NSCZ) has suspended all sports activities during the period of national mourning.
The Football Association of Zambia also announced that all football matches scheduled for this weekend have been called off as the nation mourns President Michael Sata.
The council has postponed the Chinama Hills Golf Club and Rugby Union annual general meetings (AGM) which were scheduled to take place this weekend.
NSCZ acting general secretary Innocent Chalabesa told Daily Nation Sports that the council made the decision following the death of President Sata.
“As a secretariat we have postponed all the sporting activities especially those that were scheduled for this weekend.
We shall soon be issuing a statement to advise our affilaites when they can resume sports activites,” he said.
Chalabesa said the secretariat would wait untill the mourning period comes to an end.
“We cannot allow sports activities to go ahead during the mourning period because it not our tradition,” he said.
He added that the council would soon advise the Football Association of Zambia and the Basketball Association of Zambia who were supposed to have games over the weeknd.
“We are waiting for the body to arrive in the country, untill when he shall be put to rest that is why we have decided to postpone all sports activities,” he said.
Chalabesa said both the men and women’s golf unions were supposed to hold their AGMs tomorrow but would not go ahead.
He said the Rugby Union was also supposed to hold its AGM on November 1, in Kabwe but would have to wait until further notice from the secretariat.
And FAZ communications manager, Nkweto Tembwe, advised all its clubs and affiliates that all football matches for this weekend had been cancelled.
Tembwe said the action had been taken as a sign of respect to the association’s patron, President Sata, who died in London two days ago.
“This means that all super league, division one, two, three, Futsal and indeed any other matches organized under the ambit of the FAZ, at provincial and district levels, will not take place this weekend,” he said.
Tembwe said the association would give further guidance after consultations with relevant authorities on the way forward as regards the Afcon qualifiers for next month.