ECZ challenges Kabimba

The Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) says PF Secretary General Wynter Kabimba is better placed to shed more light on his confession that he smuggled Kenyan nationals into Zambia to illegally participate in the country’s 2011 general elections.

The commission has categorically stated that it was not privy to the arrangements Mr Kabimba made to facilitate the illegal entry of the Kenyans into the country to help the ruling party conduct the Parallel Voter Tabulation (PVT) in the 2011 general elections that saw the PF emerge victorious.

ECZ public relations manager Crispin Akufuna said the commission was also not aware what role the Kenyans who were smuggled by Mr Kabimba into the country played in the electoral process.

He said according to the commission, the 2011 tripartite elections were conducted transparently and within the full provisions of the electoral laws.

Mr Akufuna said ECZ had been compelled to issue a statement on Kabimba’s revelations that he had smuggled Kenyan nationals into Zambia to illegally participate in the country’s elections in 2011 following continued reports in some section of the media casting doubt on the credibility of the 2011 election results.

He said ECZ decided to issue a statement particularly after assertions that there were foreigners who were involved in Parallel Vote Tabulation whose entry into the country was facilitated by Mr Kabimba who is the Minister of Justice.

“The commission wishes to categorically state that it is not privy to the arrangements that Mr Kabimba is alleged to have made to facilitate the entry of foreigners to conduct PVT and what role they played. Mr Kabimba is better placed to shed more light on this matter. The commission wishes to state categorically that the 2011 tripartite elections were conducted transparently and within the full provisions of the electoral laws,” Mr Akufuna said.

While addressing the ruling party members at Luangwa House in Chipata on Thursday last week, Mr Kabimba told former Eastern Province PF chairman Lameck Mangani that he had sacrificed a lot for the PF to a point of committing a criminal offence of smuggling Kenyans into the country to illegally participate in the electoral process to help the ruling party win the elections.

“Do you know how much I have sacrificed for this party? I brought in people from Kenya to do PVT (Parallel Vote Tabulation) and we won elections. I smuggled in people through Nakonde border and if Rupiah Banda won elections, I would be in jail today, and today Ba Mangani is more loyal to the party than me! No! No. Those of you accusing me of destroying the party don’t know the sacrifice I put in. When we were voting, Judge Ngoma was serving a jail sentence and those of you who come today should say, ‘Judge is not loyal’; that I refuse and I’ll not accept that PF members that suffered and sacrificed for the party become refugees in their own party. Let’s have a new beginning,” he said.

On 21st September, 2011, Mr Kabimba announced that President Michael Sata had won the presidential election by 56 percent against then president Rupiah Banda who he claimed had marshaled 36 percent. This announcement was made soon after the ECZ system was hacked forcing the commission to shut its website.

Mr Akufuna said ECZ had accredited many election monitors and observers from various institutions and countries, five of whom were from the Kenyan High Commission and six were from the Independent Electoral Boundaries Commission (IEBC) of Kenya.

Mr Kabimba has been under intense pressure since he confessed having smuggled Kenyans to illegally participate in the country’s electoral process and some concerned stakeholders have charged that the Justice Minister’s action was treasonable because it was tantamount to

Categorized | Home News

Comments are closed.

Our Sponsor

Jevic Japanese Auto Inspections

Social Widgets powered by AB-WebLog.com.