The family of slain PF cadre Moses Simuwelu yesterday failed to exhume his body and conduct a postmortem examination with an independent Pathologist.
The body was supposed to be exhumed yesterday around 17 hours but police blocked the postmortem because the Pathologist they contracted had links with the police.
The family has been forced to hire an independent Pathologist following initial unconfirmed police reports suggesting that Moses died of natural causes, an assertion the family has rubbished.
Yesterday acting leader of business in Parliament and Home Affairs Minister Edgar Lungu told the nation that police has so far arrested eight suspects in connection with the killing of Moses and were now looking for the mastermind of the murder.
A Copperbelt based pathologist was yesterday expected to exhume Simuwelu’s remains from the grave and conduct an independent post mortem.
Uncle to the deceased and family spokesperson Lucky Simuwelu confirmed to the Daily Nation that the family was not happy with the government report and sought further investigation from a private Pathologist.
However, the Simuwelu’s were not allowed to go ahead with the task because officer from force headquarters said that the named Pathologist was once attached to Zambia Police.
Simuwelu said that the police suggested that the operation be conducted by an independent person that had no links with the Zambia Police in order for them to have an undisputed report.
“We were supposed to exhume the body at 17:00 hours with this pathologist from the Copperbelt but the police told us that we could not go ahead with the operation because this man once worked for Zambia Police. They want someone who has no attachment with police and they said they would call me any day when they are ready.
“As a family we feel this whole thing was engineered because it is not convincing that one can perform an examination with naked eyes. The person who first conducted the post mortem had only a knife and a scale and of course samples were taken but we still doubt his findings because our son had cuts in his body. We are going ahead with this and we want to know how our son died. Am happy that officer today act in a professional manner and hope this will continue until we get to know the real cause of Moses’ death,” Simuwelu said.
He said his family was still disturbed with the death of Moses and the pathologist’s report that indicated that he died of natural causes when he was injured during the PF intra party fracas.
The Simuwelu’s further questioned the secrecy and cover up in the cause of death for their son and wondered why his body had extensive cuts and bruises.
18 years old Moses Simuwelu was a victim of violence during the PF fracas that took place last Thursday in Chelstone area along Kenneth Kaunda Airport road after the pro Wynter Kabimba faction violently clashed with the Komaki group who have been demanding for the expulsion of their secretary general for allegedly forming parallel structures within the ruling party with hope of succeeding President Michael Sata.