The mass funeral for 46 of the Chibombo bus accident victims will be held today preceded by an inter-denominational church service at the Mwanawasa Stadium in Ndola.
According to a brief by the Post Master General Macpherson Chanda during a funeral preparatory meeting chaired by Provincial Minister Mwenya Musenge, all the bodies of the accident have been transported to Ndola except for four which were still at Kabwe General Hospital Mortuary.
Zampost Management announced yesterday that the company had prepared caskets and Kr100,000(K1 million) per family as funeral support and further disclosed that the company had provided 26 seater buses for transport to the family members to be taken to Ndola for the funeral procession.
And Zampost said that government had declared Monday as the burial day for the state funeral in Ndola and that first Lady Dr Kaseba Sata is expected to be among the mourners attending the burial programme on behalf of President Sata.
Copperbelt Provincial Minister Mwenya Musenge however said government will not stop any family who may wish not to be part of the mass burial which will take place at Mitengo cemetery.
President Sata declared three days of national mourning in honour of the 51 victims of the Chibombo road traffic accident which happened on Thursday last week involving a Post Bus passenger carrier and a Congolese truck.
Meanwhile, some families have however taken up burial of their relatives in other respective places as opposed to the mass burial organised at Ndola’s Mitengo Cemetery.